Thursday, May 16, 2019

Nairn Falls to Gott Creek Rec Site


May 15th, 2019/Nairn Falls to Gott Creek Rec Site

Day's total/KM 70.8/elevation gain 1572 meters
Total to date/ KM 334.9/Total elevation gain 4861 meters

Since there were no bear proof bins at Nairn Falls parks staff locked my food in a storage shed, it was returned by 7 am, I was on the road by 8:30. Another great day weather wise, mixed cloud and sun. It was a nice down into Pemberton, I stopped in at McDonald's for coffee and a muffin. Then back on the saddle winding my way thru the Pemberton Valley. I was met with snow capped mountains either side and the warmth of the early morning sun. I plugged in the earbuds and peddled to the sounds of John Lennon, Lisa Gerrard and Paul Simon
I had soon crossed the Birkenhead River for the last time as it opened up into the Pemberton Wetlands. At this point the mountains box the valley in and the only route was up the Duffey Lake Road.
The climb began in earnest with grades impossible to peddle with a loaded touring bike, so I pushed, rested and pushed some more.
I spun the peddles a couple of times early on and a little more frequent as the climb continued towards the top. Five hours later I reached Joffrey Lakes, a few more kicks up past the parking lot and I was finally at the top. I let out a sigh of relief.

The Duffey Lake Road and the start of my five hour push to the top!
Duffey Lake and the Coastal Mountains of B.C.

No comments: