Monday, May 27, 2019

Part One-Pinegrove Campground to Yellowhead Campground


May 22nd, 2019/Pinegrove Campground to North Thompson

Day's total/KM 78/elevation gain 622 meters
Total to date/KM 652.4/Total elevation gain 8799 meters 

I was packed and on the road by 8:15. Not too far out I spotted a Subway, I'm learning if it’s there and you need it then buy it. Sometimes just around the next corner is something better or nothing at all. Met my first cycle tourists at Subway, we chatted for a bit then leapfrogged once or twice as we all headed along the Yellowhead Highway. I caught up to them both at the next Subway stop and I’ve not seen them since. It was a decent day for riding, mixed sun and cloud but no rain. 

May 23rd, 2019/North Thompson to 20 km North of Avola

Day's total/KM 20/elevation gain 760 meters
Total to date/KM 672.4/Total elevation gain 9559 meters 

 It was a tough day. It soon warmed up and was the warmest day so far. Heavy storm clouds were brewing ahead. I stopped to allow one down poor pass. I was accompanied by another traveler, his name was Rick. He was on a home made electric powered three wheeler heading to Vancouver. This rig was totally dependent on the sun, it had no pedals. We chatted until the rains stopped then waited till the roads dried. The skies to the North were still black but I opted to press on till the next shower. I soon felt some big drops, I pulled over and geared up. The rain was continuous along with head winds and then sunny skies coming into Avola. My first flat, a rear, which forced a roadside repair.
I checked out the campground in Avola, it wasn’t much. It was situated amongst a bunch of derelict cars. There was an old motor-home that hadn't moved in years with a sign in the window with the camp hosts telephone number. I decided to press on and look for a place to stealth camp for the night. I ended up riding another 20 km’s North, it was getting late. There was a gas pipeline that paralleled the highway with service roads every few kilometers. One looked promising with the exception of the biggest bear paddy I think I've seen, I moved on. It was getting late. I pitched, set up and had dinner by 7. A bit of a restless sleep, it wasn't the bears that worried me. I would have felt more secure behind a gated road.
 
May 24th, 201920 km north of Avola to Blue River RV Resort

Day's total/KM 32/elevation gain 250 meters
Total to date/KM 704.4/Total elevation gain 9809 meters 

I woke up to the coldest morning so far. Made a quick coffee and had a sweet bun that I bought the day before, I was soon back on the road. I threw on the winter gloves and face mask. I saw my first two black bears, one was full grown and a good size.  The younger one took off as soon as it saw me. The bigger one was on an embankment above the highway, it was curious, likely it hadn't seen too many cyclists. Just South of the Blue River RV Park I pulled in for some lunch then pressed on another few kilometers. I met up with another cycle tourist, Kristof, he was from Germany and spoke good English. We talked and cooked dinner under the shelter, I did some much needed laundry. Later that evening along came another cycle tourist, Johnathon from Montreal.

May 25th, 2019/Blue River RV to Yellowhead Campground 

Day's total/KM 90/elevation gain 405 meters
Total to date/KM 794.4/Total elevation gain 10214 meters

 Kristof was first out followed by me then Johnathon. The idea was of course not to race, we each had our own pace and these two were much younger. Jonathon was traveling light and passed me about 30k in. I kept him in sight and we both soon caught up to Kristof, the race was on. We all rolled into Valemount somewhat together. The last hill which really wasn’t much took the last out of my already spent legs. Despite strong headwinds we had the 90 kilometers in the bag just shy of five and a half hours, I was tired but felt good. We all grabbed some groceries. Jonathon carried on North, I and Kristof split the cost and pitched alongside the river at the Yellowhead Campground.

May 26th, 2019/ Rest Day/Yellowhead Campground 

I opted to take a rest day. Truth be told my legs were a little sore from yesterday's shenanigans. This old dog needed a break! Kristof pressed on to Mount Robson so I was back on my own once again.

 There seems to be always something to clean, buy, wash or maintain. Much of the morning and early part of the afternoon was doing just that. The day flew by and I was ready to hop on the saddle tomorrow.

No comments: