Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Part One-South Cove Camping and Golf to Arm of Gold


Aug 30th, 2019/South Cove Camping and Golf to Yogi Bears Park

Day's total/KM 66/elevation gain 424 meters
Total to date/KM 7639/Total elevation gain 44234 meters


The skies looked promising this morning, still some dark patches. The rains have stopped for some time now, it looks like the storm was clearing. It was off to the laundry room to dry the sleeping bag, liner and a few other bits. As expected the tent leaked through the night, lucky for me the storm brought in warm air, I was wet but not cold. I made breakfast, packed up, I followed the coastal road which offered brief glimpses of the ocean. At first I wasn’t sure what I was looking at, it was the Confederation Bridge, that thing is huge. When I arrived I rode past the shuttle pick-up area to take some pics of the bridge. When I returned the shuttle was there waiting, l loaded the bike and gear and we were off, perfect timing. I grabbed some lunch in PEI then off to the campground.

Aug 31st, 2019/Yogi Bear Park to Camping and RV Park Rooms

Day's total/KM 76.1/elevation gain 470 meters
Total to date/KM 7715.1/Total elevation gain 44704 meters


 The campground wasn't far from the Confederation Bridge. I took a bit of a walk along the Confederations Trail, it was just steps from where I was pitched. I rode it thru and into Charlottetown where I briefly hopped off to grab some groceries for dinner then back on for the last 30 kilometers to the campground. The trail is in great condition, all hard packed gravel, no motorized vehicles allowed, bikes and walkers only. Parts of the trail are fast while some areas seemed slow, the heavy rains from this past storm may have softened the soil. The trail works it’s way through the back of farmlands has easy access to food etc in the small towns it passes near. Signage on the trail directs to accommodations etc. It was a nice way to experience PEI, this was the longest dedicated bike trail I’ve ridden. I thought I might see other cycle tourists, I only saw a handful of bikes and they weren't touring. The campground was private, just off the trail. A big open field with picnic tables, a cook area which I used, showers etc for $30,  it was a great place.

Sept 1st, 2019/Camping and RV Park Rooms to Northumberland Provincial Park

Day's total/KM 91.1/elevation gain 473 meters
Total to date/KM 7806.2/Total elevation gain 45177 meters


 I continued on the Confederation Trail into Montague where the trail terminates, I was sorry to leave it for the busy roads that took me into Northumberland. There was a noticeable difference in speed once I was back on solid pavement, making better time. I groceried up in Montague, ate some lunch then rode the last 30 kilometers. A bit hilly, I got spoiled the past day and a half on the rail bed. The campground overlooks the Northumberland Strait with nice sandy beaches, I took a walk in the evening. It would always seem that beach walks get the mind thinking. There haven't been many times during this trip that I've looked to far down the road, I generally stay in the now, one day at a time. I was nearing the end, soon I'd be in Newfoundland, I had mixed feelings.

Sept 2nd, 2019/Northumberland Provincial Park to Whidden Park Campgrounds

Day's total/KM 109/elevation gain 822 meters
Total to date/KM 7915.2Total elevation gain 45999 meters


 My plan was to catch the 9:30 AM ferry, as usual I woke early, passed on breakfast, packed up and covered the 4 kilometers to the terminal in short order. I had time for coffee and a sweet bun before boarding the 8:00 AM boat. Once on board with the bike stowed it was upstairs for some more breakfast. The crossing is just a little over an hour, $20.00 to cross and no fees for the shuttle across the Confederation Bridge, it was a good deal. From the ferry terminal on Nova Scotia, my ninth Provence! I followed the Three Brooks Road rounding the point avoiding the the 106. It was short lived, my approach to the 106 was a little dodgy. I ended up on an overpass with the highway below and no road access. It was down the embankment, then skirted along a marsh and onto the highway. I rode thru to Hwy 104, it took me into Antigonish. The shoulder was great on the 104 until it wasn't, it disappeared when the highway went to double lane. In all my travels thus far there’s typically a shoulder up the hills, here there wasn't. It was the Monday on the close of the Labour day weekend, lots of traffic. Can’t say it was a fun ride, quiet the contrast from riding the Confederation Trail the day before. The campground was situated in town, I opted to eat supper out, all the grocery stores were closed. Shoppers Drug Mart would have been a good choice which I checked out the day after, they have a reasonable selection of food. The rains were back forcing me to take cover inside the tent where I stayed the rest of the evening.

Sept 3rd, 2019/Whidden Park Campground to North Sydney

187 Kilometers by bus!

 My intent was to cycle two more days to North Sydney then take the ferry to Port Aux Basques. This morning I woke to strong winds and rain, the long range forecast called for more. I would soon be running into time issues, waiting out the weather wasn’t an option. Riding in the rain is one thing, in traffic is another particularly along a busy highway, it wasn’t going to happen.
 Tough decision, I’ve decided to bus myself and bike up to North Sydney and re-evaluate the weather from there. From the comfort of the bus I passed thru my tenth Province. The Arm of Gold Campground is about 7 kilometers from the bus drop. I arrived at 9:40 PM in North Sydney. I geared up, headlamp on and two safety flashers for the rear panniers. I soon arrived at the campground, they were expecting me. I was directed to the site, I setup, made some dinner and off to bed by 11:30 PM, it was a long day.

No comments: