Saturday, August 3, 2019

Part One-Wesley Clover Campground to Camping Au Bonnet Rouge


July 30th, 2019/Wesley Clover Campground to Montebello

Day's total/KM 98/elevation gain 536 meters
Total to date/KM 5274.9/Total elevation gain 30355 meters

 The exit was pretty straight forward, it was for the most part on cycling paths thru to Ottawa. After having cycled it the past couple days I was starting to get to know my way around. I was soon in Hull, Quebec leaving Ontario behind. A change of province felt good. La Route Verte 1 was a cycling route I’d heard about and was anxious to ride, I hopped on. The route is very well marked, its sections of road, designated paths all safe for cycling. It routes either thru or around the small towns. Some of it rough but a lot was well maintained and not so hard on the bottom. I soon pulled into McDonald's for some proper breakfast ;-) There’s was a pay section West of Park National de Plaisance. This bit was gravel, real soft in areas, it’s well worth $10 fee to ride thru.The skies looked threatening but I wanted to put on a few more k’s, Plaisance was tempting but too early in the day. I stopped at Thurso and had Subway for lunch, one of the best I've had. I was in Montebello by 2:30, groceries then a short ride off to the campground. The pitched at the marina it was just behind the grocery store, it was on grass, a nice quiet spot.

July 31st, 2019/Montebello to d’Oka Parc National

Day's total/KM 87.7/elevation gain 345 meters
Total to date/KM 5619.9/Total elevation gain 30700 meters
 I followed La Route Verte 1 the entire day. Quebec thus far is the most progressive province when it comes to cycling. Again the day was mixed with designated paths and mixing with traffic. Drivers are generally respectful and at no time did I feel unsafe. I saw frequent signage reminding motorists to share the road and practice safe passing rules.

Aug 1st, 2019/Rest Day/D’Oka Parc National

 The tenting section was quiet at D’Oka, tenting seems to have gone out of fashion with more people in motor-homes. I wondered if one day the parks will convert these less used areas to RV use, it would seem that’s were the money is.I rode back into Oka for lunch and a bit of sightseeing, it’s a small town so there wasn’t much but it is a nice place. I grabbed food for supper then headed back to the campground. When I returned my world had suddenly gotten a lot smaller. Since my home for the past months has been my tent it’s become a refuge from weather and retreat from the bugs. The MSR Hubba Hubba leaked during its first thunder storm, I wasn’t impressed. The center pole was beginning to take on a permanent arc shape, it's now broke and the walls of the tent have became considerably narrower. Montreal is the closest MEC, they had a replacement set aside.

Aug 2nd, 2019/D’Oka Parc National to Camping La Marquis

Day's total/KM 90/elevation gain 152 meters
Total to date/KM 5709.9/Total elevation gain 30852 meters

The lead up to Montreal was pretty straight forward. I followed the La Route Verte 1 to the outskirts. From there Google brought me into MEC. I spent far too much time setting up and checking out possible options with another tents, at the end I made a straight across swap for another MSR Hubba Hubba. It was starting to get late and I had another 50 km’s of cycling ahead. Google mapped me across town with relative ease. I was soon on the La Route Verte 5 heading East once again. I arrived at the campground at about 6:30, supper was already in the bag so no need to cook. The pitch was rite alongside the St Lawrence River, it was crowded but a great location. I met up once again with Taro, the cyclist from Japan, it was great to reconnect. We made plans to ride together tomorrow.

No comments: