Saturday, August 24, 2019

Quebec Review-Je vous salue!


  I knew you were going to be different and you were and in so many ways. 
Quebec’s love for the bicycle was apparent when I first entered Hull, it continued on thru. The dedicated trail system “La Route Verte”. Road side signage reminding motorists of the safe passing distances between vehicle and bike, they were frequent, big and bold, impossible to miss. “You mean they care about cyclists I thought!”. 
 The rides and scenery were memorable, beautiful. The La Route Verte, in English means “The Green Road”, it wound it’s way through many small coastal communities. The unique architecture, the pride people took in looking after their homes was apparent. It introduced me to the St Lawrence, gateway to the Atlantic, I couldn’t help but feel moved. Reaching the Saint Lawrence was another milestone. I had to clear the lump in my throat when I first saw it.This was my first look at ocean since leaving coastal British Columbia, it represented a lot of ground covered.
 The lead up to Quebec City, streets lined with multi million dollar mansions, some new, some heritage homes. The Old City is worth a visit, our hostel was well situated affording us to walk, visit the tourist spots, sample some local foods and drink some beers.
 On the North side of the Gaspé I had tail winds that pushed me along, they carried the scent of the sea reminding me of home. The peddles were light and effortless as I sailed along passing old churches perched by the sea, stone heritage homes, beaches, the sound of gulls, they're were some great days. Not to get too complacent I had tough ones too.Three consecutive days rounding the Gaspé, I’ll not soon forget. The hills were challenging but it ain’t over till it’s over. The next two days I rode West and into the winds that pushed from behind  the day before. I looked back at each days end with a sense of accomplishment, I did it, I couldn’t help but smile. It’s the difficult, the struggle that makes the good even better, they’re the sweet times that push you forward.
 I stood and looked out from the farthest point on the Gaspé, Shiphead Point, it was another “pinch me moment”. 
 More prevalent on the north side of the Gaspé were small road side eateries, Poutine, burgers and the soft ice cream were exceptional, I stopped in often. 
 Camping in Quebec was reasonably priced. I pitched in some memorable places along the Gaspé, Camping Chalet Bel Air, I fell asleep to the sound of waves crashing. I should mention the beautiful sunset that evening as well. Aube Aventure, this place was laid back, peaceful, uncrowned, long walks along boulder beach. I would recommend staying there, a great location if your wanting to access Forillon National Park.
 The people, I reconnected with Taro just outside of Montreal. I enjoyed my rides with him and his company, I was sorry to see that end. I don’t speak French, there is however many bilingual people in Quebec. I had no issues, they were as friendly and inquisitive as any thus far. 
 A broken chain! No repair shops, no spare chain, no tools to repair the existing chain even if temporary. I was once again saved by the incredible kindness of others, "Thankyou!".
I clocked about 1600 kilometers to cross the province, climbed 10,358 meters and descended the same, spending 20 days in Quebec. I was truly one of the best provinces thus far!

Je vous remercie Quebec! 

and now the Maritimes...and the question finally gets answered.

No comments: