Friday, August 30, 2019

Part Two-Aube Adventure to South Cove Camping and Golf


Aug 25th, 2019/Bathurst Wildlife Camping to Camping Pokemouche

Day's total/KM 80/elevation gain 546 meters
Total to date/KM 7326.2/Total elevation gain 42553 meters

It was cold and clear this morning, I wore my riding jacket for the first time in awhile. I let Google take me thru Bathurst, it routed me along the 134 then Bridge Street. I was soon dropped onto a rail-bed which I wasn’t aware of in my initial mapping. The first few kilometers were great, on/off options were limited, I needed to commit to the next section. The next exit point was several kilometers away and the trail had gotten worse, I hopped off and onto Hwy 11. This rail bed goes on for a good 100 kilometers according to the signage. ATV’s and the four wheel buggy’s I was told are not allowed on the trails within the city limits, beyond that it’s a free frawl. Too bad the trail tends to get beat up, the setup I’m on is not suited for it. I’ll have to return with a fat bike one day!

Aug 26th, 2019/Camping Pokemouche to Enclosure Campground


Day's total/KM 108.3/elevation gain 510 meters
Total to date/KM 7434.5/Total elevation gain 43063 meters


I followed highway 11 a better part of the day. So far the roads in New Brunswick have been pretty good, some sections do have minimal shoulder. Within each province resides their worst drivers, New Brunswick seems to have its share. Gotta say at times I’m a little miffed as to how they get a drivers license, or at least I assuming the have one. I groceries up in Miramichi then onto the campground. Decent place, a little run down but I always feel grateful to arrive and have a place to stay. Despite being told the campsite was grassy, which I prefer, it was dirt. A quick call to headquarters and she was not apposed to my pitching in the overflow area which was all lawn and next to showers and the washrooms, bonus.

Aug 27th, 2019/Enclosure Campground to South Cove Camping and Golf


Day's total/KM 138.5/elevation gain 747 meters
Total to date/KM 7573/Total elevation gain 43810 meters

 
I clocked some good kilometers today,  some elevation, the winds were light. Highway 11 way busy, I had a good wide shoulder in places to distance myself from traffic. At times the shoulder played peek-a-boo, not fun but admittedly I’ve become somewhat numb and realize that there are some motorists that just don’t have the brains to allow safe passing distances. I planned a rest day for tomorrow, so getting in late was not an issue. The town of Shediac has all the comforts, grocery, beer and my fav the Chinese Restaurant. I pitched in the field along with only two other tents, the season is drawing to a close.

Aug 28th, 2019/Rest Day/South Cove Camping and Golf


 I was just a walk away from Tim Horton's, I grabbed a coffee and muffin then back to the tent. I poked around for a bit, did laundry, down loaded a whack of Pod Casts, they had good Wi-Fi here. Around noon I mounted my trusty Surly and rode into town. A cyclone was on route it was to hit the Maritime s tomorrow. I decided to hold up till it passed, bought groceries accordingly with plans to leave the following day. I stopped in for Chinese on the way back, it wasn’t bad and it wasn’t great, it also wasn’t oatmeal. The rest of the day I just lazed around after all it was a rest day.

Aug 29th, 2019/Rest Day/South Cove Camping and Golf

I looked out at around 7:15, the skies were overcast. Some sorta weird cloud formations off in the distance, must be the beginnings of Cyclone Erin. They’d soon be overhead. It all sounds a little dramatic, Cyclone Erin, how bad can it be! It was Timmy’s for breakfast then a walk to the clubhouse to settle up for my unpaid night. I got talking to the attendant they suggested I stay under the gazebo and wait out the storm. It would have been ideal except it started to rain, moving was out of the question. One fellow had also offered I stay in his vacant trailer, it was too late for that as well. Bands of rain continued for the day, at times heavy. It was going to be a tent day!

No comments: