Monday, August 19, 2019

Part Two-Camping Au Bonnet Rouge to Aube Aventure


Aug 14th, 2019/Camping du Rivage to Camping Chalet Bel-Air

Day's total/KM 94.4/elevation gain 1396 meters
Total to date/KM 6651.1/Total elevation gain 35629 meters

Another great ride today, I was on the road by 7:45 and followed the side roads thru town till I was back on the 132. By mid morning the winds had picked up, blowing from the West once again. The sun was out and it was another beautiful day, I’ve been lucky as well with the weather these past few days. The campground was on a hillside overlooking the St Lawrence. There are more less three levels, I was put on the middle level. I pitched between a truck camper and a mobile home, not the best. I hadn’t noticed the spots down by the beach. The owner had no problem with the move so I packed up and re-pitched just feet from the the beach. It was real windy, inside the tent was nice and calm. This was one of the nicest places I’ve camped. This evening sunset was spectacular! I asleep to the sounds of waves crashing onto the beach.

Aug 15th, 2019/Camping Chalet Bel-Air to Griffon Adventure Hostel


Day's total/KM 101.1/elevation gain 1851 meters
Total to date/KM 6752.2/Total elevation gain 37480 meters


Today was going to be a tough one! This section offered the greatest gain in elevation. I had barely enough time to warm up and I was into the first of several big climbs, this one being the longest. I managed to peddle my way up despite the bikes taller than I would like gearing, you can alway's use a lower granny gear. There were some good descents as well, dropping down onto the small coastal towns which offered brief reprieve then it was back to climbing, this went on the entire day. The winds were once again at my back which if anything physiologically helped but provided no assist. I doubled back a bit for groceries about 10 kilometers from the campground. On arrival I was greeted with a sign, “campground full”. There’s only one choice, move on. It was getting late when I pulled into the hostel, overflow was all they had left. It was more less a dirt and gravel parking lot which was back up towards the entrance. This put me 400 meters away from the showers and water which were down a dirt road. I was grateful to have a place to pitch. I set up then rode the bike down to shower, filled the water bladder and back to camp for some supper. I ended the evening back at the bar for a pint. I ran into the two gals that beat me out of the Oceanside campsite a ways back.

Aug 16th, 2019/Griffon Adventure Hostel to Aube Aventure


Day's total/KM 17.4/elevation gain 263 meters
Total to date/KM 6769.6/Total elevation gain 37743 meters


An intended short ride today and welcomed, the legs were still tired from yesterday’s effort. I’ll likely stay here for a few days and explore Forillon National Park, I’m well situated just outside the park entrance.

Aug 17th, 2019/ Aube Aventure to Shiphead, Forillon National Park


Day's total/KM 27.8/elevation gain 460 meters
Total to date/KM 6797.4/Total elevation gain 38203 meters


In the morning I rode to Shiphead, it’s the farthest land point on the Caspe'. The last 3 kilometers are on gravel, hikers and bikers only. There’s a pretty descent uphill, the best line up is a single track, of course why not test the already tired legs. I took one stop on the way up, it was exhausting. Once you get to the lighthouse you can hike another 400 meters to a platform overlooking the ocean, as well a view of the cliffs.
 I added another day to my stay here and will leave Monday morning. This place has a great vibe, my site overlooks the bay below and I have access to the beach, no sand, just a lot of big boulders. That prompted another trip for groceries. I rode back to eat lunch then walked the beach this afternoon.

Aug 18th, 2019/Rest Day/Aube Aventure


I did my best to sleep in but the internal alarm clock had me up at just before 6. I fell back to sleep several more times and finally peeked out at 7:30. It’s overcast today, no rain as yet and the winds are calm. I ate some breakfast then organized and cleaned for the ride tomorrow. Adjusted the brakes, tire pressures, lowered the bars a bit more and re-dressed my Brooks Leather saddle. Cooked lunch, “that meant heating up a can of chili”. Then went for a walk on the boulder beach, by this time the sun was out, it was another great day.

No comments: