Thursday, August 1, 2019

The Ontario Review-I forgive you!


  You came in at 2200 kilometers to cross, I climbed 15,000 meters and descended the same, we always remember the ups, they last the longest.
 I was first introduced at Rainy River, your my fifth province, Ontario. I’m not going to say it was easy. Hmm... in fact it was tough, lots of climbing, repeated ups then downs rounding Lake Superior. The TC in many places had no shoulder and was for me often intimidating to cycle on. They were really just A to B sections, the focus was on traffic, no time for sightseeing. Just get the job done, hopefully in one piece.
 East of Sault Ste. Marie brought reprieve, it got better, there were route alternatives. I opted for gravel, a few more hills and additional kilometers. I was often accompanied by swarms of horse flies, they’re down rite vicious! That was payment for being off the Trans Canada, it was well worth it. It’s the stuff that feeds my soul.
Ontario’s country side is really beautiful, Amish working their fields, they would always give a hearty wave. I frequently saw their horse drawn carriages clip clopping down the country roads. Old barns, churches, rivers, lakes and the brown stone houses. Some of the cycling paths were amazing, old rail beds that took you completely away from traffic, well shaded from the mid-summer sun.
 I spent two full days in the capital, Ottawa, I was glad I did. It's full of history, it’s beautiful. I couldn’t help but feel incredibly proud to be Canadian, Ottawa does that to you. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, The Supreme Court of Canada, Parliament Hill, the changing of the guards and the Rideau River. The Museum of Natural History in Hull, Quebec. Within was, "The Canadian History Hall". Glass plates with images depicting iconic events or landmark places in Canada etched into them. They were backlit and ran the length on either side of the curving corridor. As I walked thru I could see both, myself reflected and places I had visited. In real life I was on my own adventure of discovery. It was surreal to think I saw them from the saddle of my bike, I felt blessed.
The people of Ontario were just as friendly, inquisitive and generous, there were many memorable times. The KOA in Thunder Bay offering a camping cabin at the cost of tenting. A tour along Lake Superior thanks to Jim. Meals paid for by people that I simply struck up conversation with. Grinding up one of the many hills around Lake Superior, an SUV rolled up beside me. The passenger was half out of the window, "are you doing the tour he yelled?". I wasn't sure what he meant, I yelled back, "I'm going across Canada". "I love you man", was his reply.
 Ontario was the province that asked of me, it tested as no other province had. 
The biting bugs the heat and humidity, long sections of relentless climbs. Roads that tested my willingness to persevere. I look back with a smile and a "Thank- you", it’s another piece of what makes up Canada.
Although I was sorry to leave Ottawa, a new and possibly the most unique province of all lay waiting and it was just across the river. I was excited to see what new adventures Quebec had to offer!

No comments: