Thursday, July 18, 2019

Page One-Rabbit Blanket to Mara Provincial Park


July 12th, 2019/Rabbit Blanket Campground to Pancake Bay Provincial Park

Day's total/KM 117.9/elevation gain 1101 meters
Total to date/KM 3910/Total elevation gain 24157

Another tough section, much of it with minimal shoulder. With only one more section after today I’ll have options to ditch the TC which of course I'll willingly take. I met another cyclist today, I haven't seen many, he was heading West towing a trailer to the Interior of B.C. We ate lunch together, shared our experiences this far, he figured he had a 50/50 chance of survival, grim odds I thought, this was suppose to a holiday not a funeral. Hope my odds are better! The day started out somewhat overcast then the sun appeared early in the afternoon, winds again were blowing off Superior and I was riding into then.

July 13th, 2019/Pancake Bay Prov Park to Sault Ste. Marie

Day's total/KM 83/elevation gain 331 meters
Total to date/KM 3993/Total elevation gain 24488

It was a warm one today! I followed the TC through to Highway 552 then the 556  and onward to the bike shop, Velorution. I went off for some lunch, groceries etc while the bike was in surgery, time for another new chain.
I camped the night at the bike shop in back, they allow access to the washrooms, shower, plug-ins for charging all for free. I was the only camper!

July 14th, 2019/Sault Ste. Marie to Thessalon 

Day's total/KM 87.9/elevation gain 314 meters
Total to date/KM 4080.9/Total elevation gain24802 meters

I'm now in the 4000 plus kilometer club!
I was up shortly after 6, a quick shower then pack and off to breakfast. I took the Great Northern Road, it cuts thru town to the St Marie’s River. Queen Ste E took me along, with the river on my right and I was soon on 17b. I followed the Great Lakes Waterfront Trail into Thessalon avoiding the TC completely. Today's section was the first that I’ve been able to enjoy since entering Ontario. There was gravel in places, some decent little hills, nothing major. It was peaceful, very little traffic, lots to see. It was a good cycling day! The campground was along the shores of Lake Huron. Pricey but a nice place to pitch.

July 15th, 2019/Thessalon to Blind River

Day's total/KM 55/elevation gain 118 meters
Total to date/KM 4135.9/Total elevation gain 24920 meters

The exit was short, out the back of the campground and I was soon on the TC heading East. I picked up once again the Great Lakes Water Front Trail, gravel to start which carried on for several kilometers and reappeared often, more hills along with a frequent swarm of horse flies. All in this route is more than worth the extra time and perhaps effort-it’s cycling at its best, with little traffic.
I broke a shift cable, the front, I'm not carrying spares. There are no bike shops, the nearest was off route and not an option. A fellow cycle tourist “James” helped me out, he’s got a spare.
I pitched down at the marina in town, did laundry, showered etc. I took a walk in the evening to a long since abandoned mill that was not far from the marina. There's a museum as well showcasing the history of the mill unfortunately I never got there. There were heavy rains during the night, I was hoping for better weather come morning, I'd planned on meeting up with James.

July 16th, 2019/Blind River to Serpent River Campground

Day's total/KM 29/elevation gain 102 meters
Total to date/KM 4164.9/Total elevation gain 25022 meters

James was in Serpent River with a shift cable and taking a rest day due to weather. I opted to chance it and ride. I could see before starting out I was riding into the worst. It started to rain shortly into the ride and got a little worse, it was still warm despite the rain. It soon let up and the ride in was well shouldered making for safe passage. My fixed gears weren't really a problem on that section, I adjusted the stop on derailleur to the middle ring.
The repair was simple taking little time to thread in a new cable. I was grateful to have all my gears back again. I’ll now carry a spare, lesson learned. It was overcast when I pitched then the sun showed up,  it too hot on the grassy field prompting a move to shade. A bit of relax time then dinner with James across the street, the food was decent. I picked up the tab as thanks for the cable.

July 17th, 2019/Serpent River Campground to Green Acres Tent and Trailer Park 

Day's total/KM 128/elevation gain 560 meters
Total to date/KM 4292.9/Total elevation gain 25582 meters

I followed once again The Great Lakes Water Front Trail, there were decent sections of gravel along with short but steep hills adding considerable time to the ride. I arrived late, James rode in on the TC, he's also a much faster rider, he was set up and waiting for me to show, it 6 PM by the time i got in. I pitched, left the complete setup for after dinner. Showered, then headed to the restaurant with James. The special was chicken with all the fixings, it was good, sorta like Xmas dinner less the turkey.

No comments: