Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Part One-Mara Provincial Park to Ottawa


July 23rd, 2019/Mara Provincial Park to Furnace Falls

Day's total/KM 90/elevation gain 211 meters
Total to date/KM 4730.9/Total elevation gain 26943 meters

 I allowed Google Maps to take the reins and route me thru once again. I crossed the TC shortly after a rushed exit from the campground, the mosquitoes were ferocious. I was soon on gravel that continued for several k’s then the road turned once again to pavement. My intent was to find camping at Kinmount, there was nothing. I grabbed groceries then headed out. I left the 503 and onto White Boundary Road to Furnace Falls. It was a day use area “no camping signs were posted”, I ignored that! I pitched in plain view of the highway rather than the back of the park, I wanted a picnic table, there were none out back. I went for a swim after dinner, it felt good after a long days ride. I fell asleep to the chatter of raccoons and the periodic crunching of plastic, they were all feasting on the overflow of garbage. It was an uneventful night.

July 24th, 2019/Furnace Falls to Stealth Camping (20 Km’s past McArthur Mills)

Day's total/KM 120/elevation gain 820 meters
Total to date/KM 4850.9/Total elevation gain 27763 meters  

I followed the 503 along, then the 118. Just outside of Cheddar all traffic was detoured to Hwy 48, it was narrow, hilly, dusty and windy and also under construction. A busy little bit with the truck and car traffic all squished on a country road. When I dropped onto the 28 I followed it thru to Bancroft. Stopped at Tim Horton's for some lunch then onward once again. I rode past McArthur Mills, really without even noticing, I pushed on another 20 or so k’s. Where the 514 branches from the 28, the 28 turns east it becomes quit hilly, there were a few good ones, pushing the bike didn't help. it was getting late and I was tired and hot.
I pitched just off the highway, slightly above it behind a group of trees. I really wasn’t at all concerned about being seen and I was in no mood to pitch in the wood. They kinda reminded me of the "Blair Witch Project".  I had a good nights sleep with no issues.

July 25th, 2019/Stealth Camp to Renfrew KOA

Day's total/KM 98/elevation gain 903 meters
Total to date/KM 4948.9/Total elevation gain 28666 meters

 Another warm one. I was up before 6, made oatmeal and downed a few other goodies from the food bag. I was still hungry and on the hunt for the first restaurant or grocery store. I stopped in Denbigh, had a good breakfast along with good conversation with another patron. When it was time to go he paid the tab, once again an unexpected kind gesture. I grabbed groceries, ate lunch at Subway in Renfrew, it was hot. Then rode the additional 12 kilometers to the KOA. It was a nice spot, a little further out than I'd like. I showered, ate dinner and with what was left of the day I did what I do best, I relaxed. 

July 26th, 2019/KOA Renfrew/Rest Day

Day's total/KM 24/elevation gain 268 meters
Total to date/KM 4972.9/Total elevation gain 28934 meters

I decided to stay a second night. I was up early, did laundry and all the prep for tomorrow’s ride. Just before noon I rode back into Renfrew, had lunch and dealt with other business. It was another warm day, again in the low 30’s.

July 27th, 2019/KOA Renfrew to Westland Clover Park Campground

Day's total/KM 84/elevation gain 245 meters
Total to date/KM 5056.9/Total elevation gain 29179 meters

Just broke the 5000 kilometer mark!
I made my way to the Ottawa River to River Road. Around 20 Km’s outside of Arnprior it crossed the Algonquin Trail, neither Google or RWGPS had mapped this, apparently it was a fairly new section. I rode it into Anrprior and parted ways with the trail, it swung Southwest. Google mapped the rest of the way in to the campground just outside of downtown Ottawa.

July 28th, 2019/Westland Clover to Ottawa/Return

Day's total/KM 60/elevation gain 320 meters
Total to date/KM 5116.9/Total elevation gain 29499 meters

 The ride into Ottawa was pretty straight forward. From the campground I was soon able to pick up the bike path that paralleled the Ottawa River, that took me rite into town. There's bike paths throughout the city , a lot of cyclists make use of them. It was Sunday, they close sections of road that run next to the Rideau River down town. 

July 29th, 2019/Westland Clover to Ottawa/Return

Day's total/KM 60/elevation gain 320 meters
Total to date/KM 5176.9/Total elevation gain 29819 meters

I wanted to see more of Ottawa, it really is a beautiful city. It was smokin hot today, I headed for The Canadian Museum of History that took me across the river into Quebec. I had lunch back in Ottawa, then the National Arts Centre. The War Museum was on route back, just off the cycle path. I stopped in at MEC, grabbed some groceries then peddled back to camp and arrived about 4:30. I bought a new set of Schwalbe’s, these are a road tire and should roll a little better the Mondial’s were more for gravel use.
The skies were pretty dark when I rolled into the campground, I decided to mount the tires under the shelter. Sure enough there was the sound of thunder then the rains. It didn’t amount to much then the sun came out and the rest of the evening was decent.

No comments: