Friday, July 12, 2019

Part Two-Thunder Bay to Rabbit Blanket Campground


July 7th, 2019/Rainbow Lake Prov Park to Marathon

Day's total/KM 108/elevation gain 947 meters
Total to date/KM 3569/Total elevation gain 21620 meters

This was a tough section today, climb after climb in series with very little relief. The head winds even made the downs slow, gusts at times were making it difficult to control the bike. It was a long day! The ride into Marathon along Penninsula Road was a decent down, I could only think about tomorrow mornings exit, back the way I came. I headed straight for the grocery store and restocked. I've defiantly lost weight and know that I need to eat more, it’s been a challenge acquiring food, having the room to pack it as well the added weight.
Penn Lake Campground was of course situated beside Penn Lake, it was beautiful but the mosquitoes weren't. I arrived somewhat later than I'd like making for a scramble to pitch, eat then shower leaving little time to relax. I was soon in the tent and off to bed

July 8th, 2019/Marathon to White River

Day's total/KM 97.1/elevation gain 830 meters
Total to date/KM 3666.1/Total elevation gain 22450 meters  

This section had the least amount of ride-able shoulder, paved that is. When I had to kick off, the gravel was soft, making it impossible to steer the bike. It was warm today, no cloud cover. The winds were kinder, at my back in some areas but not providing any great assist. A lot less hills today, or maybe I was just getting numb to them! I cruised down main street once I hit White River and headed for the Post Office, then back out for groceries
The Tourist Center allows cyclists to pitch on the lawn. There was a water tap, no showers, no washrooms after hours. Can't say as I get that, don't cyclists need a washroom? I'm always grateful for the free camping but... The Husky Service Station has showers, a little pricey, $8.00, I opted to wash up as best I could for free back at the tourist station. The parking lot, which I was next to made for a slightly busier night that I would have liked.

July 9th, 2019/White River to Wawa

Day's total/KM 91/elevation gain 308 meters
Total to date/KM 3757.1/Total elevation gain 22758 meters

I've been on the road now for two months! 
My first stop was Subway in White River, take away lunch for the road. Clear skies today, it was going to be another warm one. Headwinds again and strong, they blew all day. These winds have been giving my legs a crazy workout, mentally I’m trying to accept them as the norm, it is what it is.
Very poor road conditions today, and it’s the TC, along with bad drivers made for probably my worst day yet, safety is paramount. Too many close passes, a semi driver that just wanted me off the road, blasting his horn. Cyclists are already challenged without the added fear of being “Bumper Fluff”.
Again the Tourist Center in Wawa allows cyclists to pitch for free after 6 PM. It wasn't so comfy hanging around in sweaty gear waiting to pitch. There was an alternative,  ride back North to a pay site just out of town. It's no brainer for me, free generally wins out.

July 10th, 2019/Wawa to Rabbit Blanket Campground

Day's total/KM 35/elevation gain 298 meters
Total to date/KM 3792.1/Total elevation gain 23056 meters

 No sooner did I wake then heard the patter of rain on the tent. I haven’t been watching the forecast so it came as a surprise. There were a few more brief showers, by mid morning the sun was out. Head winds again today, strong ones. It was a short section, highway conditions improved, opposite from yesterday’s rather nerve racking ride. The truck traffic seemed lighter as well. I arrived shortly after noon, showered then did laundry.
Finally the weather presented the opportunity to test the MSR Hubba Hubba-NX. At around 8 PM a thunder storm passed over the campground. The rains were so heavy the ground could not absorb the volume and the tent was sitting in a couple of inches of water. See the picture of my Pannier with the “High Tide Mark”. I could push on the floor, it was like being on a water bed. The interior was bone dry but unfortunately the seams at the top of the tent did leak a bit.

July 11th, 2019/Rest Day/Rabbit Blanket Campground

1 comment:

Melanie Trupp said...

Wow, Ontario is testing you! You’re doing great.. keep the faith and keep on ....you’re climbing a big hill within right now but soon the plateau and then downhill the rest of the way! 2 months on the road, 2 months of roughing it, 2 months of not the greatest food.. and then cycling! You’re strong and courageous! I’m so proud of you! Love you and so grateful that you’ve shared your journey with us!