Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Part One-Rainy River to Thunder Bay


June 28th, 2019/Rainy River to Fort Frances

Day's total/KM 92.3/elevation gain 156 meters
Total to date/KM 3101.4/Total elevation gain 18811 meters

 I returned to the Hospital first thing, all was well and got the green light to proceed. I spotted a bakery as I was heading out of town and decided to stop, coffee and a couple of sweet buns were in order, then another stop at the laundromat to dry some shorts. I was underway just before 9. I headed East on Hwy 11, "Mom’s Way". Beautiful morning, sunny, it was going to be a warm one. Winds were almost none existing, I stayed for the most part in the big ring up front making reasonable time. There were still some straight stretches but nothing like the Prairies. I even spotted an outcropping of rock not far East of Rainy River, there were also more trees! Soon the Prairie landscape would be but a distant memory. I arrived around 2, Fort Frances was busy little place and really not so little. I bought groceries then checked out the campground. I headed towards an area in the park where I spotted other tenters. I pitched then went about my usual business. The washrooms were a little dodgy and the tenter not far from me weren't real friendly. Towards evening a Police cruiser, actually several were making their rounds. They would re-appear with frequency, I soon figured this wasn't the best place to camp. It was getting too late to re-locate, I just took precautions and staying the night. 

June 29th, 2019/Rest Day/Fort Frances


 I spotted once again a Police cruiser, then the Ambulance all attending to this young fellow that was passed out. Unfortunately I had pitched in an area of the park that was known for a high occurrence of drugs, fighting and crime. The police advised me to move, I re-pitched further South in the park. I would have pushed on, it was the long weekend and I didn't want to be on the roads.
 I gathered up my laundry and headed into town, bought a few items likely hard to find in the next towns and re-stocked the food supply. When I returned all was well, I prepped for tomorrow's departure, went for a swim the afternoon and just relaxed the day away. It was warm and humid, the wind picked up cooling things off a bit. I never do well in the heat, I'll will have to get used to it.

June 30th, 2019/Fort Francis to Anikokan

Day's total/KM 148.6/elevation gain 928 meters
Total to date/KM 3250/Total elevation gain 19739 meters


A thunder storm with high winds and rain overnight. When I woke at 5:45 the tent was dry, lots of debris on the ground. My intent was to park over the long weekend avoiding traffic, plans changed. I was underway by 7:45, thru the park and East on Hwy 11. I was soon on the bridge over Rainy Lake, once I crossed over the landscape made a considerable change. There was outcroppings of rock, trees now lined the roads edge, it was a welcomed change! 45 Km’s out I stopped at the first and apparently only General Store, there was nothing for the next 100k. The meter gain was throughout the section, gentle ups then rewarded by easy downs, it was a nice ride. I passed a lot of lakes, all marshy shores with the exception of one. A River spilled out over crushed rock, I was able to access with ease, it was smoking hot, time for a swim. I arrived in Anikokan around 5 the grocery store was already closed. I bought a can of spaghetti at the Esso Station and a soft drink for dinner. By the time I got to the Campground it was pushing 6. Nice quiet place, minimal shade but pitched on the grass. The bugs fed before I did, breakfast, lunch and dinner thanks to me.

July 1st, 2019/Rest Day/Anikokan

 If Canada was celebrating then so was I! The camp host mentioned that there were "Free" hotdogs, corn on the cob and birthday cake at the park. You didn't need to twist my arm! I arrived along with the rest of town, all one hundred or so. I blended in well for a tourist and ran the hotdog, corn and cake line three times and no one was the wiser.
I spent the rest of the day getting things ready for tomorrow’s ride and trying to avoid the heat, it was another warm one.

1 comment:

Melanie Trupp said...

I guess there will always be a little of this to remind us of “all of that” and not get complacent! Devcon 5 was enacted and you were safe! The rewards, free lunch and happy day!