Thursday, July 4, 2019

Part Two-Rainy River to Thunder Bay


July 2nd/Anikokan to 10 km’s East of Shebandowen


Day's total/KM 131/elevation gain 602 meters
Total to date/KM 3381/Total elevation gain 20341 meters

I was up early! An RV arrived some time during the night and parked next to me. This morning it sounded like they were doing interior Reno’s at 5 AM. I laid in bed for a bit, figured I should start the day and exited the tent at 5:15. Not a cloud to be seen, the sun already had some teeth and it was still early.
I hit the road at 7:15 following 11B then East on Hwy 11. The road surface was good, paved shoulder in sections, gravel in others, a mixed bag. With the exception of the one store with a very limited selection there was nothing clear thru to my final destination.
When I reached Shebandowen there was no camping, there was nothing. I'd actually missed what was marked on the map as a town. It was Stealth Camp or push on. My water supply was replenished, I spotted some machinery and buildings from the highway and figured it was worth a try. The fellow was more than willing to fill all my bottles and 6L bladder, I could now search for a camp spot.  A river or lake would have been choice, no such luck. I did spot some power lines on the hillside earlier on, then rode till I found the access point. I pitched on a somewhat grassy hill perched across the power line road. I was good for the night. The bugs were a bit much, I retreated to the shelter of the tent, ate dinner then off to bed.

July 3rd, 2019/10 Km’s East of Shebandowen to Thunder Bay

Day's total/KM 80/elevation gain 332 meters
Total to date/KM 3461/Total elevation gain 20673 meters

I set the alarm for 6 AM, hotted some water for a 3 in 1 coffee, made my usual rolled oats, dishes were stowed and saved for later, I was on water rations.
I exited the power line road at 7:45 and turned East on 11, traffic was reasonably light, it was another warm one in the making. I then followed the 102 into Thunder Bay, some decent climbs made a little tougher with the heat.
Did groceries and a few other items from Walmart, After-bite was in order to address last nights bug fest, my ankles were actually now swollen. I picked up a bit more sunscreen as well.
There was no need or desire to go further into Thunder Bay, I sourced out a campground in-line with tomorrow’s exit strategy, the KAO. A call to confirm a spot,  pricey, $44.00 to pitch. I mentioned I was only tenting and arriving by bike, Kristy (I assume the manager) dropped the price to $20, it was the rate she gave to all cyclists, sweet. I then stopped at Subway, time I finished lunch a proper storm was brewing. I was chased into the KOA arriving when heavy drops started to fall accompanied with the usual thunder and lightning. I paid for the night, on exit Kristy approached me and offered that I stay in one of the Camping Cabins, totally unexpected and a very generous offer, I accepted. It’s the first night since leaving Victoria that I haven’t slept in the tent, I felt out of sorts, a good out of sorts! I did laundry, the tent was packed wet from this mornings heavy dew. I took advantage of the last bit of sun, re-pitched in the field to dry it out. I cooked dinner in the shelter that was next to the cabin, a bit of time to relax then off to bed.


Rainy River, Ontario

1 comment:

Melanie Trupp said...

So many “angels” along the way!