Friday, June 28, 2019

The Prairies Review


The Prairies Review

 Until now I’d never experienced, only heard tales of the “Prairies”. Once you exit the Rockies your pushed in as if riding a wave, when you land it’s new and fresh. "I can see for miles and miles", the Prairies are the Rockies mirror opposite. Flat was something foreign, you feel confident the hard parts are behind. It’s like a breath of fresh air! Remember this is just the introduction, the rest is yet to come!
 There are endless stretches of road, if not for the curvature of earth you would see them forever. A bit of an exaggeration but I've never seen roads as long and as straight. There’s often no discernible land marks, look down, then up ten minutes, a half an hour later and it feels as if you haven’t moved. It all looks the same. This goes on kilometer after kilometer, day after day, a mindless repetition. You might also think of the Prairies as being flat, they’re not, far from it. It has its valleys and hills, not many but they’re there. The “others” are somewhat in disguise, gentler low grade inclines, it's the legs that tell the brain your going up. The winds, well there are general rules as to their direction they blow given the time of year. Truth is they don't listen, they do whatever they like. They’re strong, consistent, there are no natural or man made barriers to provide relief. They will test your physical and mental strength.
 Drumheller has history, lots of it, arguably one of the best museums in the world showcasing just that, earths ancient mammals, the dinosaur. The town of Milden was another highlight, my evening walk along the now overgrown rail tracks that led to an icon of the Prairie, it’s wooden Grain Elevator. Long since abandoned but still standing, an unmistakable landmark.
 Youngstown, a memorable campground, peaceful, the air was filled with the sounds of song birds from the nearby marsh. Often, mostly thru Manitoba I would turn off the music and listen to the birds as I rode on. There were many marshes that bordered the roads. The unexpected descent into the Assiniboine Valley, the landscape as I climbed out and looked back, unbothered by traffic. That was a great section! The memorable ride and joy of “Victory” in the Foothills of Alberta, I has concord the Rockies. Long since abandoned farm houses are stark reminders of the past, allowing the imagination to wander. I rode thru and into many small Prairie Towns, I was always greeted by welcoming friendly people. The fellow that bought me lunch at Subway. The women working the campground pay booth in Melville. She granted me free camping close to the showers in a full service site designated for RV's. I was cold and soaked to the bone,“Get warmed up she said” that was her main concern. 
Many of the roads are frost damaged, surface cracking was a common condition making for a bumpier ride than I would have liked. Shoulder-less highways were also common. Gravel in some sections, either I chose or it was a surprise to me.
 Overall the Prairies were a positive cycling experience, Ya tough at times. They are a distinct part of what makes Canada a whole. I wanted to experience it all, I feel fortunate to have done so.

6 comments:

Joe said...

Your story makes your journey so interesting....you’re painting a great picture of this experience. I’m really enjoying reading & learning all about your trip. Happy CANADA Day week-end!

Melanie Trupp said...

Welcome to Ontario! Wow! No doubt surreal to think you’ve peddled this distance thus far! Love reading your blog and love our phone calls as you check in with “ your people” . So very proud of you and your accomplishment! Keep peddling and keep on enjoying, a trip of a lifetime!

Gareth said...

Hi Larry! I've been reading your blog again and am so awe struck! I still can't believe how far you've travelled and in such a short amount of time. Having driven that distance with comfortable accommodations every night in our U-Haul to Boston was one thing but you are living the true travelers life. I'm proud, inspired, and even more amazed of your grit and perseverance...Keep it UP! I tried posting a comment back when you were in the Rockies about how amazing your pictures were but don't think it saved...if this doesn't come through I'll have Mel and Joe post it. Enjoy there ride and know we are cheering you on!

Gareth said...

Oh and Happy Canada DAY!

Kim said...

Gruncle!! amazing, I am so impressed! I hope you are in a comfortable (and safe) location to enjoy Canada day - what a special Canada day it will be this year, taking in the whole country like you are!

Rene Unser said...

Wow! I am enjoying your blog & heating about your journey on the road and journey of your heart, as this trip most certainly continues to touch your soul in many ways. Keep up the great work out there and thanks for sharing. Hugs!!!