Sunday, June 2, 2019

Part One-Yellowhead Campground to Lake Louise



May 27th, 2019/Yellowhead Campground to Lucerne

Day's total/KM 86/elevation gain 616 meters
Total to date/KM 880.4/Total elevation gain 10830 meters

 The IGA opened at 8 am in Valemount, I was out the door and heading for Mount Robson shortly after. The first 35 km flew by with photo ops at the park entrance to Mount Robson. Traffic was resonantly light and good shoulders to ride on for the most part. I arrived at Lucerne around 2:30, beautiful spot situated rite beside the lake.
 
May 28th, 2019/Lucerne Campground to Wapiti 

Day's total/KM 40/elevation gain 210 meters
Total to date/KM 920.4/Total elevation gain 11040 meters

A bit of a milestone today, my first province crossed, I leave B.C. and onto Alberta, I'm now in Mountain Daylight Time.
 I arrived at the Wapati Campground just past noon. I met up once again with Kristof, we doubled up to save camping fees. I set up, did some laundry etc. I cycled the trail that parallels the parkway into Jasper. Shortly into the ride I encountered a female elk on the trail. As I approached she sidestepped the trail allowing for safe passage. Once I passed her the per suite was on! I’d stop, she’d stop, I,d walk, she’d walk all the while getting closer and closer. I decided to haul the bike thru the bush and onto the road where cars were beginning to stop and watch the show. The traffic acted as a distraction so I made my get away leaving the elk behind. The female were calving and apparently can be quit aggressive.
 I bought groceries, treated myself to Chinese food. Spent a bit of time in the town, it's generally busy in Jasper and I wasn't much into the tourist thing.

May 29th, 2019/Wapiti Campground to Honeymoon Lake

Day's total/KM 47.5/elevation gain 729 meters
Total to date/KM 967.9/Total elevation gain 11769 meters

Another day's start under blue skies. I’ve been lucky with the weather during the day so far in the Rockies with frequent rains at night. I stopped in at Sunwapta Falls for pics and a bit of lunch then onto Honeymoon Lake. The campground was pretty quiet when I arrived and was lucky to get a treed campsite, the pine beetle has devastated the park. A good number of campsites had to be clear-cut and in the coming years many more would follow. Approx 90% of the trees are at various stages of infection.

May 30th, 2019/Honeymoon Campground to Rampart Creek

Day's total/KM 89.9/elevation gain 1037 meters
Total to date/KM 1057.8/Total elevation gain 12806 meters

I hit the 1000 kilometer mark today! It was a tough one, reasonably long with some steep sections. It also had a 1004 meter decent into the Rampart Valley, I was cookin! I thought later if the bike had a mechanical failure I would have likely been road kill.
 It was late afternoon when I arrived at Rampart, the campground was closed, gated with a now entry sign. Opening day was tomorrow, I slipped under the cable blocking the entrance and had the park to myself, VIP! I set up next to the cook shelter and food lockers taking advantage of both. All was peaceful until around midnight when I was awoken to the sound of thunder shortly followed by heavy rain. I was glad to be dry in the comfort of my shelter as well as a sense of vulnerability knowing that between me and the rain was just my tent . It held up to the test with minimal leakage around the tubed floor. 

May 31st, 2019/Rampart Creek Campground to Mosquito Creek 

Day's total/KM 65.5/elevation gain 905 meters
Total to date/KM 1123.3/Total elevation gain 13711 meters

Two tough days back to back! Another 8 AM start under clear sky’s, leg warmers and extra layers for the day's start.
Shortly after exiting the campground I encountered my first black bear, a big one. It was only a few feet into the bush alongside the highway so I came up quit close, yelled my usual “Yo Bear”. This guy didn’t budge obviously habituated to the sounds of traffic and I guess yelling cyclists. I took the initiative since it wasn't and swung the bike to the other side of the highway, all went well.
 My second bear encounter of the day was a Grizzly and her new born. It was at a safe distance, park officials were monitoring them both. She frequently grazed alongside the road. Her and the new born were creating quit the commotion and park staff were there to keep the traffic moving and to see no harm was to come to them both. The park officer was kind enough to allow me the use of her binoculars. Seeing a Grizzly was on my bucket list, it was the first I've seen in the wild. 
Cycling the Rockies and the Icefield Parkway was another incredible experience in this cross Canada tour.

June 1st, 2019/Mosquito Creek Campground to Lake Louise 

Day's total/KM 27.9/elevation gain 120 meters
Total to date/KM 1151.2/Total elevation gain 13831 meters

It was going to be an easy ride today which allowed for a later start, I was on the road at 8:30 and soon into the hustle bustle of Lake Louise, not really my thing. I skipped past the usual grocery stop and wanted to secure a campsite. I paid for two nights, with the option of checking out early with a refund if I decided to do so. It wasn't long after setting up and along came Kristof, we've been leap frogging each other for some time now. I went back into town for groceries, the price of food is ridiculous. I've been to Lake Louise, hiked up the back as well several other hikes and exploring in the area so I decided to chill out around the campsite for the rest of the day.

No comments: