Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Part One-Drumheller to Nokomis


June 8th, 2019/Drumheller to Youngstown, Alberta

Day's total/KM 134.5/elevation gain 496 meters
Total to date/KM 1601.6/Total elevation gain 16159 meters

 I set the alarm for 6AM wanting to get an early start on the day. It looked as tho it still might rain but it was clearing to the East. I was on the road a little before 8 the winds were cool. I had my winter gloves on with extra layers on top. There was some climbing first thing coming out of Drumheller to warm things up, I headed North along Hwy 56. The bike felt heavy once again under the weight of groceries. I swung East onto Hwy 9. The winds were once again coming from the North/West,  for now in my favor. I stopped in at Hanna for some lunch at Subway.
Highway 9 was decent for cycling although there were long sections with minimal shoulder. Once they put in the rumble strip I had 18-24 inches of real-estate to ride on. It’s difficult to relax and take in the scenery, your constantly having to focus on the road. Richdale, my original destination did not have an RV Park or campground.  I considered stealth camping but there was little to no cover. It was a full day of riding by the time I arrived in Youngstown. With no campground marked on the map I cruised to the end of Main Street. I spotted a couple of guy's with a child, they were in a field. A worn down open faced building and what might be some washrooms. I pulled in and sure enough this was the towns campground, no signage, I just lucked out seeing them there. Camping was by donation. No showers, cold water only and washrooms, it worked for me. It turned out to be one of my more memorable nights, super quiet, I was the only camper. Not far, just a little further down Main Street was a marsh and I could hear the song birds.

June 9th, 2019/Youngstown to Alsask

Day's total/KM 91/elevation gain 259 meters
Total to date/KM 1692.6/Total elevation gain 16418 meters

I’d soon cleared Youngstown and headed East on Hwy 9. I was met with North/Westerlies once  again, for the most part they assisted my efforts, but as the road swung and changed direction they were just side winds. Weather wise it was decent, a little cooler throughout the day, cloud and sun but no rain.
I stopped at A&W for lunch in Oyen then onto Alsask. I entered province number three today-Welcome to Saskatchewan! The campground was closed, no water, toilets were boarded up and it looked like the place hadn't been used in years. I slipped under the gate, there was no stealth here, it's the Prairies. I had a clear visual of the highway, I wasn't bothered by anyone.
The winds were kicking up pretty good, thunder storm warnings were coming in from the surrounding areas and I could see the black clouds in the distance. I felt a few big drops on the tent, nothing more, by midnight the winds had subsided.

June 10, 2019/Alsask to Kindersley 

Day's total/KM 63.6/elevation gain 319 meters
Total to date/KM 1756.2/Total elevation gain 16737 meters
  
It’s been one full month that I’ve been on the road. I have to say so far it’s been going well. The skies were clear blue and the sun soon got things warmed up. I made coffee, passed on any cooking, I had little water for dishes. I ate a Clif Bar and a banana and was soon under way. 
Hwy 9 was now Saskatchewan's Hwy 7, the shoulder had improved, not as choppy. It was a continuous series of speed bumps (frost heaves) along much of the shoulder exiting Alberta, not easy on the butt.
Kindersley will be the biggest town for awhile It was a good spot to grocery up and do some laundry. I rode up to the campground to pitch then gather up the dirty clothes and build the grocery list, then back into town.
I was heading into Subway, just opening the door when a fellow behind me offered to buy me lunch, it was totally unexpected. It's these acts of kindness that really make the day. I figured he was going to join me, he didn't but did offer his place for me to stay. I had to decline, I wasn't going thru Saskatoon. The day was soon over with all the house keeping done. There was a little time at days end to relax, blog and give tomorrow's ride some thought.

No comments: