Saturday, June 8, 2019

Part Two-Lake Louise to Drumheller

June 5th, 2019/Ghost Station to Beiseker

Day's total/KM 99.3/elevation gain 584 meters
Total to date/KM 1395.9/Total elevation gain 15320 meters

I was on the road early knowing it was going to be a long day. The winds were already working against me and it was still early. I figured once I cleared the morning rush of traffic in Cochrane it would lighten up, it didn’t. Things went from bad to worse. I turned North on Hwy 22, then East on 567, I had  at best a 2 foot shoulder, often less. The winds were from the South East, In front or at the side pushing me in towards traffic. I turned North once again onto the Simmons Valley Road and immediately gained speed with the wind at my back, it was short lived, 3 K’s of bliss. I was soon East once again and back into the wind for another 38 kilometers down Hwy 567. I wasn’t sure whether to laugh or cry. The winds were relentless and so was the traffic. I arrived in Beiseker mid afternoon. The campground was in town, although there wasn't much of one. The price to pitch was $20.00, shower included, ya gotta like that.

June 6th, 2019/Beiseker to Drumheller

Day's total/KM 71.2/elevation gain 343 meters
Total to date/KM 1467.1/Total elevation gain 15663 meters

 I was a little nervous heading out as the winds were already picking up. I pulled out of the campground a little after 8 and soon onto Hwy 9. I was immediately greeted with a wide shoulder. I figured that would soon end once I cleared town, it didn’t. The winds were now from the North/West pushing me along at record speed. I topped out my gears several times with little effort. A few long low grade hills but nothing really worth mentioning, the legs still felt fresh. I rolled into Drumheller at 11:30 covering the 72 k's in record time, wow! As I rolled in the fast food restaurant were lined up like dominoes. It was Subway for lunch, go figure. Mark’s Warehouse was on the list for a new pair of shoes then onto the campground. The cost per night was just shy of 40.00, just to pitch a tent. Oh and showers were not included, it's like getting stabbed in the back!

June 7th, 2019/Rest Day/Drumheller

I woke to rain several times in the night. The morning was overcast and looked as tho it could rain any time. I peddled this far and was determined to visit the Royal Tyrrell Museum, I geared up arriving at the door at 9 AM. There was a light rain for the return trip back into town, at least I never got completely soaked. I picked up a few more groceries then back to camp for lunch. It wasn’t long after the rains came down and continued late into the afternoon. I showered then spent some time in the tent.
Alberta
"Thanks for your support"

1 comment:

Melanie Trupp said...

Way to go! One month on the road and heading towards your third province! Way to go brother! May the wind gods be with you and blow you from behind! :) :) Stay safe, keep healthy, and keep enjoying like you already are!