Thursday, June 6, 2019

Part One-Lake Louise to Drumheller


June 2nd, 2019/Rest Day/Lake Louise

I made a lazy run into town, exchanged some beef jerky for the milder version and picked up some soup for lunch and stew for supper. That was the big effort for the day! I did some laundry, looked over the bike, blogged, ate and relaxed. 
It turned out to be a good restful day in Lake Louise.

Below is a pic I took of the groceries I bought in Lake Louise. It's the only store in the village, here's what I got for $63.00. There’s no Butter Ball or T-Bone included sitting out of frame.

The Hoover Effect-$63.00 

June 3rd, 2019/Lake Louise to Tunnel Mountain Campground, Banff
 
Day's total/KM 61.4/elevation gain 504 meters
Total to date/KM 1212.6/Total elevation gain 14335 meters

On exit from Lake Louise I took the TC, the shoulder was huge, almost another full lane width. Not a lot of traffic, it was still early but it did slowly build. I tried hopping onto 1A at Castle Junction, it was closed for construction. At the Castle junction I met back up with Kristof. He was chatting with another cycle tourist, Craig was finishing up three years of cycling, I can’t imagine.
It was back onto the TC till just outside Banff  I connected onto the cycling path that took me the rest of the way in, it was quiet, treed and I could hear the birds chirping. 
 Welcome to Banff, there was me along with all the other thousands of tourists! I had business to address first off. I exchanged my new stove for yet another one, it’s the second defective one. I also picked up another bottle of fuel. The chain I had installed in Kamloops was routed wrong so I had that corrected, it much quieter now. Off to the Source for a higher output dual charger for my iPhone and battery pack, that turned out to be quit simple.
I ate lunch at Subway, bought some groceries and beer then headed for the campground. Kristof had already secured a site which was lucky as the place was booked solid. We were grouped up with the RV’s, charged for power (which we used) and a fire even tho we never lit one. I would say this was the worst pitch yet but we were both thankful to have a place to stay.
 Tomorrow we were to part way's once again, Kristof was off to Calgary and I was headed for Drumheller. To round off the evening we both cracked a beer and shared stories of our adventures thus far. 

June 4th, 2019/Banff Tunnel Mountain to Ghost Station

Day's total/KM 84/elevation gain 401 meters
Total to date/KM 1296.6/Total elevation gain 14736 meters

I was up early, getting away took a bit. I needed the bike to navigate the campgrounds the wash station etc was a bit of a distance and required the bike. I said goodbye to Kristof, he was hoping to stay on another day but the camping situation was grim, it was unlikely he would get a spot.
I exited at the west end of town following once again the TC. It wasn't long before I connected with the cycle path that took me into Canmore. It was a nice relaxing run and away from traffic which is always welcomed. I stopped briefly at McDonald's for a coffee and muffin then headed East once again. I stayed on the Bow Valley Trail, twenty kilometers out of Canmore and the traffic was minimal. With no shoulder I cycled to the left of the white line the traffic was respectful. The road wound it’s way thru green grass covered hills, fields of yellow dandelions and the sky was blue with light white puffy clouds. The ups and downs were gentle allowing for good speed with minimal effort. Having been somewhat hemmed in by the Rockies, this new landscape had nothing to hide. It was the beginnings of the Prairie and a welcomed sight.
The winds picked up several kilometres outside of Ghost Station making for a little extra push to get in. The pitch was a reasonable one, just tucked off the highway. I spent a better part of the afternoon cleaning the dust I'd brought along from Banff.

No comments: