Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Part Two-Drumheller to Nokomis


June 11th, 2019Kindersley to Milden

Day's total/KM 122/elevation gain 166 meters
Total to date 1878.2/Total elevation gain 16903 meters

 I woke up to a familiar site, Kristof had arrived late and was pitched in a nearby site. We talked for a bit, he was staying on and uncertain which direction he would take. My plans were somewhat fixed, so once again we parted ways. I headed East on Hwy 7 to Rosetown, had some lunch at Tim Horton's. I back tracked to Hwy 4 then headed South to Hwy 15. I was again headlong into the wind, seemed all too familiar. I was aiming for Outlook but the winds forced me into Milden, I had enough for the day. Turned out to be a good choice, hot shower, hot water in the washroom all for $5.00, what a deal, ya know you've arrived. Wish all the sites were this good, it doesn't take much to put a smile on my face. I had wanted to explore a grain elevator on the Prairies, this was my chance. In back of the campground was a well overgrow set of rail tracks that led to an old wooden one. I love these quiet places, you can poke, kick the dirt and explore and no one's around to bother you. It was a great evening, I stayed around the old wooden structure only to be forced back by the setting sun.

June 12th, 2019/Milden to Kenaston 

Day's total/KM 91/elevation gain 225 meters
Total to date 1969.2/Total elevation gain 17128 meters

This morning I was up at 5 AM. I wanted to take another shower, when the price is rite I sometimes do that. It was a special day today. I was cooking eggs, mushroom, onion and Beef Jerky mash for breakfast. The mash was a welcomed change to the usual rolled oats, it doesn't get much better.
I was back on Hwy 15 heading East by 7:30, winds were light but coming from the South/East, not good.
I didn’t make good time to Outlook, bought some more groceries, had a coffee and two sweet buns at the grocery store. Checked out two places in town for stove fuel, no such luck. 
I was back on 15 once again, you step off for a bit and things change. I was met with stronger South/Easterlies and the road conditions worsened as I went on. Thunder clouds were looming above, there no escaping this time. I stopped to put on the rain gear and rode into it. The rains typically don’t last long but it can come down hard, shelter out here is pretty scarce.
The rest of the ride was uneventful, Hwy 15 deteriorated further with eventually no shoulder at all, I was getting use to that.
Kenaston was a welcomed sight. I was hoping to clock more kilometres today but the wind had other plans.  I called it a day.

June 13th, 2019/Kenaston to Nokomis

Day's total/KM 89/elevation gain 189 meters
Total to date 2058.2/Total elevation gain 17317 meters 

Gotta mention it! Just pushed past the 2000 KM mark!
I headed out at 7:45, East along Hwy 15. The road conditions were good, looks like not too long ago they laid down a new surface. That didn’t last long, back to the broken shoulder and continuous lumps. It pays not to complain, things got even worse, I didn't think that was possible. The Hwy was now gravel, wasn’t expecting that. That carried on for about 10 Km’s. It really wasn’t bad you just had to stay out of the deep stuff and follow the most worn track. Winds were again coming from the South/East  just a breeze unlike yesterday’s strong head winds. I arrived in Nokomis around 2:15, bought some groceries then off to find the campground. No showers tonight, cold running water only and portable toilets.

East of Drumheller

No comments: