Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Part One-Minnedosa to Rainy River


June 21st, 2019/Minnedosa to Portage la Prairie

Day's total/KM 130.9/elevation gain 124 meters
Total to date/2639.1/Total elevation gain 18244 meters

I woke well before the 6 AM alarm, at 5:30 I figured best get at it! The weather report was calling for winds, Easterly’s 30 with gusts up to 50 km’s per hour starting around noon.  I put a twist on breakfast this morning, barbecued rolled oats. I walked away from the stove and returned to smoking oats, they weren’t too bad. I was soon on Hwy 16 heading East, winds were already light. At Neepawa I paid homage to the Golden Arches, two sweet buns and a coffee. Once I cleared the town it was back to Hwy 16, the winds had noticeably picked up, it was back to the struggle. The winds continued into Portage la Prairie. The traffic was heavy, a lot's of truck traffic I assume continuing onto Winnipeg. The highway was under construction prior to entering the city which made for more congestion. My first stop was Canadian Tire for stove fuel, it was on the main route, a quick in and out. Staff was accommodating allowing me to park the bike in the repair shop, so no need to lock things up. 
I pitched at Island Park, not far from town. Not a bad spot, I had to chase down the camp host, paid my dues and acquired the code for the showers. 
It rained hard and continued into the early evening, it was hardest it’s rained thus far.

June 22nd, 2019/Portage la Prairie to Carmen

Day's total/KM 69/elevation gain 130 meters
Total to date/2708.1/Total elevation gain 18374 meters

This morning I woke to a wet floor from last nights deluge. I made the decision to buy another tent, I just wasn't sure what to buy or where. I did a quick search on the Internet and had done some read ups prior and settled on the MSR Hubba Hubba. I had my people back home arrange the deal. Mec was to have it shipped to Morris, Manitoba, general delivery. The other option was to re-route into Winnipeg, I chose not to and would take the rest days instead.
 My exit from Portage la Prairie wasn’t brilliant, I headed along Provincial Road 240 then onto Hwy 2, there were more direct routes, too late I was already committed. I should just copy/paste the following “South Easterly's” day after day I've pushed against consistent head winds. Despite the low grades in elevation the legs have been getting a good workout bucking these winds.
Hwy 2 had a gravel shoulder, there was plenty of truck/car traffic making the section unpleasant for cycling. I did receive some relief from the head winds when the highway turned, it’s always short lived, then back to it.
 My initial destination was Morris, the winds had other plans and chased me into Carmen. First stop was the Co-op, they have a Deli that could hopefully take care of my constant craving for roasted chicken. I'm often turned away, "Sorry we've run out, or we only have whole birds". The day suddenly got brighter, it was chicken and potato salad on the menu tonight. Next stop was the campground, did the usual, set-up and pitched, ate dinner, showered then slept.

June 23rd, 2019/Carman to Morris

Day's total/KM 62/elevation gain 110 meters
Total to date/2770.1/Total elevation gain 18484 meters

 I decided to ride today, I had thoughts of splitting my day's between Carmen and Morris while I waited for the tent to arrive. I pushed on thus making Morris my destination to wait for the tent. I continued along Hwy 3, the shoulder was good to start then abruptly stopped and went to gravel, I hate it when that happens. I was left with less than three feet of paved surface, 12 plus inches of that was taken by the rumble strip, which was cut about center. Head winds again on that stretch. Swinging East on Hwy 23 brought the winds to my side and slightly behind, I was able to gain some speed. Hwy 23 was quieter which is always welcomed, its shoulder for the most part was non existing. Kilometer after kilometer of surface cracks, 15 to 20 feet apart, it gets a little tiresome on the tush with a bike with no suspension.
 The ride was short today, overall I made good time despite the winds early on. When I arrived in Morris I swung into my usual, Subway for lunch. The campground was situated on a corner lot, I can’t say it was ideal. Highway 75 was out front and 23 was along the side both busy with truck and car traffic. The Morris Multiplex sits in back, I’ll be glad when my tent comes!

June 24th, 2019/Rest Day/Morris

June 25th, 2019/Rest Day/Morris

 An unexpected delay, two in fact. The tent was suppose to ship from Winnipeg, the shipper missed that request and started the process from Vancouver. That was corrected via a phone call but resulted in the first days delay. The second delay, it missed the deadline to be shipped overnight to arrive in Morris for Tuesday morning with only one run per day. It was again left in Winnipeg and suppose to arrive tomorrow morning, Wednesday. The real sad part was for two consecutive days the winds have blown from the West!

No comments: